Wind Energy Factsheets
Statistics & Targets
Wind energy is now a mainstream power source. If the right steps are taken, wind energy will be key to meet Europe's 2020 renewables target, tackle climate change, strengthen energy security and create jobs.
- The wind power capacity installed by the end of 2009 will, in a normal wind year, produce 4.8% of the EU's electricity.
- In 2009, for the second year running, more wind power was installed than any other power generating technology, accounting for 39% of total new installations.
- Over 10 GW of wind power capacity was installed in 2009, that is 23% more than in 2008.
- Europe's wind energy in 2009 avoided 106 million tonnes of CO2 per year, equivalent to taking 25% of cars in the EU off the road.
- Wind energy saves Europe 6 billion Euro per year in avoided fuel costs.
- In 2009, 2.8% of Europe's total wind power was offshore.
- 192,000 people in the EU are employed by the wind industry.
In 2020, EWEA's targets are for:
230 GW installed wind capacity in Europe: 190 GW onshore and 40 GW offshore.
- Produce 14-17% of the EU's electricity - depending on total demand.
- Avoid 333 million tones of CO2 per year.
- Save Europe 28 billion Euro a year in avoided fuel costs and 8.3 billion Euro a year in avoided CO2 costs.
In 2030,EWEA's targets are for:
400 GW installed wind capacity in Europe: 250 GW onshore and 150 GW offshore.
- Produce 26-35% of the EU's electricity - depending on total demand.
- Avoid 600 million tonnes of CO2 per year.
- Save Europe 56 billion Euro a year in avoided fuel costs and 15 billion Euro a year in avoided CO2 costs.
What needs to happen?
- The 2009 Renewable Energy Directive, which sets a target of 20% renewables in the EU by 2020, must be effectively and rapidly implemented by Member States.
- To meet the binding energy target, the share of renewable electricity in the EU must increase from 15% to at least 34% by 2020.
- A European supergrid must be created by extending and upgrading the existing European electricity network.
- Competition in the electricity market needs to be improved.
- Polluters must pay for emitting CO2, either through carbon taxes or an Emissions Trading System with full auctioning of allowances.
- Research funding for wind energy must be increased substantially.
References & Resources
- Dependency injection
- Directives and Pipes
- Data binding
- HTTP Get vs. Post
- Node.js is everywhere
- MongoDB root user
- Prefer Async Script Loading
- Components, Bootstrap and DOM
- What is HEAD in git?
- Show the changes in Git.
- What is AngularJS 2?
- Confidence Interval for a Population Mean
- Accuracy vs. Precision
- Sampling Distribution
- Working with the Normal Distribution
- Standardized score - Z score
- Evaluating the Normal Distribution
- What is Nodejs? Advantages and disadvantage?
- How do I debug Nodejs applications?
- Sync directory search using fs.readdirSync